Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Butterfly" deformity on red bud

I collected these deformed leaves from a red bud in Fulshear, Texas. I would have ignored one, but two?
My first thought was eriophyid mite damage, until I found this bagworm on a red maple on the same property.
Then I began to wonder if the damage on the same part of the red bud leaf wasn't perhaps an aborted attempt to start a bag, which the leaf subsequently grew around.

(By the way, one might be tempted to correct me and insist that it's a silver maple leaf, because the bagworm damage leaves the illusion of deep sinuses. But it's a red maple.)

Please feel free to leave a comment or send an email. If you're looking for a TCIA Accredited Houston Tree Service or Certified Arborist, call the company I've worked for since 2002, Bartlett Tree Experts, at 713-692-6371. This is my personal blog--it is not affiliated with Bartlett Tree Experts.

No comments: